Friday, March 4, 2011

What are dormant oils and how are they used?

What are dormant oils and how are they used?

Dormant oils also known as horticulture oils.  They are oils that are sprayed onto trees while they are dormant.  When sprayed on the trees they cover soft bodied insects and their eggs and suffocate them.

Every company makes a different one and directions must be followed exactly! Wear your protective gear also!

In general terms dormant oil can usually be sprayed on the fruit trees in our area in any month that contains the letter “R”.  This is not always true in September, March and April.  Do not use once the buds on the trees have started opening.  Do not use in May, June, July, and August.  There are other sprays to use on those pesky bugs those months.

Spray the dormant oil in the morning when it is cooler.  Do not use on windy days. Do not use is rain is expected.  Protect other plants if needed.  Check the label for more details regarding these conditions.

I usually spray once the leaves have fallen off the trees.  I do this once or twice.  Depending on my free time and the weather.   I spray again usually starting in February, but this year I didn’t get started until March.  I will continue to use it as the directions say until the buds start opening.  I only spray my fruit trees, but dormant oil can be used on other deciduous (those that lose their leaves during the winter) trees and plants.  It can be used on roses, but I use a different method that will be part of April’s to do list.

Try to use dormant oil at least once or twice in the late winter if nothing else.

Here are two articles on dormant oil that I think you may enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment