Wednesday, March 2, 2011

March To Do List

Starting Seeds Indoors See When do I plant what? post for more specific dates.
Basil, chamomile, sage, and thyme herbs should be planted by the middle of this month.

Broccoli, Brussels sprout, cabbage, and cauliflower crops should be started indoors by the middle of this month for your spring crop.  

Start tomato and eggplant seeds indoors by the end of the month.

Starting Seeds Outdoors
Plant lettuce, onion sets, peas, radishes, spinach, shallots, potatoes, and turnips, outdoors about the middle of the month.  I am going to plant mine as soon as the snow is gone.  I can cover my crops and keep them protected.

Amending Soil for the Vegetable Garden
Get your soil amended as soon as possible.  I add two inches of compost, two inches of manure, and two inches of peat moss to my soil every year.

A Side Note About Potatoes
I am only going to add peat moss and compost to my potato bed.  I recently learned that too much nitrogen is causing the brown spots on my potatoes every year.
I am also going to plant some potatoes in a tote this year.  I have one that the dogs chewed up the top on, so it is perfect for planting in.  I am going to mix equal amounts of soil, compost, and peat moss to use in the tote.  The tote is 32” x 13” x 13”.  I will put four inches of my mixture in the bottom of the tote.  I’m thinking four potatoes will fit nicely.  Then I will cover them with two inches of my mixture and keep filling the tote with my soil mixture as the potatoes grow until it reaches about 11 inches deep.  Keeping about two or three inches of plant showing each time I add my mixture until the tote is filled.  I always plant my potatoes on St. Patrick’s Day!

Dormant Oil
Spray dormant oil on fruit trees.  There is still time since there are no blossoms on the trees yet this year.

Weed Control
The weeds are going to be out in full force after the snow melts and it starts to warm up in a few weeks.  My favorite weeding tool is a hula hoe.  Use it to scrape just under the surface of the soil and chop the weed roots.  If the weeds are tiny it pulls them right out of the ground.  For the weeds that are in areas that I can’t get too easily and I feel a need to spray I am going to try something new I heard of.  I am going to spray them with vinegar.  It is a lot cheaper than weed killer and I hear it works just as good.

Roses
DO NOT prune your roses in March.  I don’t know how this habit got started.  There will be another frost causing more pruning to be done.

Plants to Prune
My Butterfly Bush and Russian Sage will get cut back the end of this month.  The fruit trees will be pruned too.  Cut off any broken or dead branches.  Cut off any branches that are rubbing on another branch (keep the branch that will make the tree look more open and full if possible)  Trim the branch that is being removed to the collar (the collar has a little different texture).  This will allow the bark to grow over the cut and heal itself.  NO MATTER WHAT DO NOT PRUNE OFF OVER 20 PERCENT OF YOUR TREE IN ONE YEAR!

Dividing Day Lilies
Another good project for the end of this month.

Bear Root Tree Planting
This is my favorite tree type.  It is easy to plant and the cost is a lot less.  Plant any time this month.  Make sure the roots do not have any kinks or curls that appear to be the way they have been growing.   These kinks and curls will stay and grow until the tree cannot take nutrients up them.  Place the grafted area to the north to protect that weaker area of the tree from the elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment