Thursday, March 24, 2011

Pictures Using Aluminum Foil to Reflect Light onto Plants


I have no idea if this will be helpful, but it is worth trying since the bad weather is not allowing me to put the plants outside.  The idea behind the foil is to reflect light back onto the plants and keep them growing more compact.

Foil lined box for the tomato seedlings.

Three foil covered pieces of cardboard pieces on top.  On the bottom is a box I sliced open down one side.  I wrinkled the 4 pieces that I put on the flaps to see if the wrinkles would make more angles to reflect light off of.  I cut the flaps off of the bottom of the box.

I taped the three pieces of cardboard together at the top and slightly angled the bottom edges out.  I also raised the back bottom edge slightly to tilt it towards the window more.


Here are the plants at the west facing window.  I also decided to place a piece of foil from the back of the box up onto the Ottlite light.  More and better reflection?  Time will tell.


Same picture as above with the Ottlite turned on this time.


Here is the box I slit open and wrinkled the foil on the top flaps.  I may shorten this box.  The left side of this picture is next to the west facing window also.

I also covered more cardboard with foil and placed it behind the seedlings under the grow light in the south facing window.

More plants in the south facing window under the grow light.

No comments:

Post a Comment