Sunday, March 20, 2011

Pictures from Planting Potatoes on February 17th.

This bed is 2 1/2 feet wide by 6 feet long.  The trenches were dug 10 inches deep this year.


This is the trench digger taking a break while I get the seed potatoes and take pictures.


There are 6 potatoes in each row.


Close up of the potatoes in the trenches.  The 2 on the left are new Yukon Gold seed potatoes I bought this year.  The rest are leftover blue potatoes from my harvest last year.  Lots of roots from the grape vines, but that won't matter.


Another close up of the Yukon Gold seed potatoes.


These are all of the potaoes I have left from last years harvest.  I selected the little healthy ones with lots of eyes for planting.


I lined my clear tote with 12-pack soda boxes.  Plant roots need to be in the dark and the sun makes potatoes green.  Green potatoes are poisonous.


The tote now has 2 inches of soil in the bottom.


Four Yukon Gold potatoes placed on top of the two inches of soil.
Here the potatoes are covered with two inches of soil.  Now it is time to wait for them to grow.


There are two 25 gallon buckets of soil to go back into the trenches to cover the potatoes when needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment