Thursday, March 31, 2011

Updated pictures of seedlings and garden beds

  
3/28/11 -- Here is a typical picture of one of my raised beds just after I add equal amounts of peat moss, manure, and compost.  I mix everything in with a shovel.

 3/28/11 -- Here is what it looks like after I have mostly leveled it.  I actually thought it was level until I looked at this picture.


3/30/11 -- This is my ring of onions.  I am going to plant summer squash in the middle.  I bought a bunch of Walla Walla onion starts at the store.  I wasn't going to plant any, because I don't like them, but then I decided they may be helpful with pest control.



3/30/11 -- I stuck all the leftover onions, from making the ring, in with the broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts.  Hoping for pest control help here too.



3/28/11 -- I have noticed that the plants indoors have not been leaning to the window so much since I put the foil around them.  Today I decided to see what would happen to them in the shade outside with the foil.  I also used a clear lid to block some of the breeze off of the tomato seedlings.  None of these seedlings had any direct sunlight on them today.

3/28/11 -- See the tomato seedling leaning towards the foil.


3/28/11 -- Here are some herbs leaning towards the foil also.



3/28/11 -- The tall ones are the tomatillos leaning towards the foil.  For the next two days I took the plants outside a little earlier in the day, so they would get direct sunlight and put the foil around them also.  They stayed upright better.



3/30/11 -- I spent the day transplanting, because the roots are coming out of the bottom of the pots and if they are not transplanted soon they will start dying.  Some herbs I transplanted into the little white recycled pots against the door.  Some of the herbs I transplanted into larger pots.  The four front pots will probably not be transplanted again.  These will be easy to bring into the house once winter starts if they are kept in these pots.


3/30/11-- Close up of some of today's transplants.  Picture taken the day after transplanting.



3/30/11-- Another close up of more of today's transplants.  Picture taken the day after transplanting.



3/30/11 -- Another transplant picture.  I recycled containers for all of my transplants.

3/30/11 -- I transplanted basil into 2 containers like this.  Ten basil plants is a good start.  More will be planted.  I will use a lot fresh and dry a lot for spaghetti sauce.  The spaghetti sauce recipe will be on my other blog later this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment