Thursday, February 3, 2011

How I compost

Compost needs equal parts of green and brown.  And it also needs heat, oxygen, and moisture.
What is green and brown?
Green is all of your fresh picked plant piece, fresh grass clippings and your kitchen vegetable and fruit scraps.
Brown is all of your dried leaves and dried organic plant material.

I use all the fruit and vegetable scraps from my kitchen as my green.  For  my brown I use chicken or steer manure or even finished compost if I run out of the other two.  I like chicken manure the best because it heats up the compost pile better than steer manure.

I do not use grass clippings, because they pack down and make a thick tight layer.  I would have to turn my compost pile if I used them and I don't want to be bothered turning it.

I water my compost buckets about every 2 weeks.  I add water until I start to see it run out the holes in the bottom of each bucket.  In the winter time I let the snow and rain water for me.

DO NOT USE THE FOLLOWING:
Citrus peel - they just get hard
Meat
Animal by products - except you can use egg shells.
Any food product that has oil in it - like leftover salad or vegetables with salad dressing, mayonnaise  or butter/margarine on it.
Tomato plants - poisonous
Potato plants - poisonous
Rhubarb leaves - poisonous
Charcoal briquettes
Flavored coffee grounds
Weeds that have gone to seed - seeds can live for years and some seeds need heat to make them germinate.
Clippings from grass that has recently been treated with any chemicals.
Manure from pets that eat meat, such as dogs and cats.

Equal parts of green and brown make the microorganisms break it down.

Remember this saying and you will be on your way to great compost.  If the compost smells bad it means there is not enough brown in the mixture.  It should have a clean earthy smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment