Friday, June 26, 2015

Strawberries From My Garden

I have gotten out of the habit of blogging from not feeling well.  I guess that is as good of an excuse as any right?  Anyway I am going to do some catching up today.
All of these pictures were taken June 10, 2015.

I was surprised to see all of the strawberries form plants that were transplanted this year.

These are berries from plants that were transplanted last year.  Moving the plants into full sun again has made a big difference.  The trees have grown a lot and shade the old strawberry bed too much.

These are the berries from the picture above.

I have 5 or 6 places that look like this.  If I go out at the right time of day I can see all of the ants there also.  I will take care of the ant problem after the strawberries are all harvested.

These are strawberry plants put into the last bed about a month  ago.  There is another bed to the right of this that I had only half full last year.  It got filled this year too.

This is the tallest my plants have ever gotten.  These are last years transplants.

We had to add another layer of frames to be able to put the screens on top.  You can see that I didn't cover the back half of the last box in the center row.  The plants are so tall you can't see the strawberries, and that seems to be enough to keep the birds out.

Here is today's harvest.  The biggest harvest of the season. I wonder how much they weigh.

Got the scale set to zero with the empty strainer on it.

2.13 pounds.  I'm excited.  Now I wonder what they weigh when the stems and bug holes are removed.

2.08 Pounds.  Into the freezer they go with the other ones already in there.  They will be made into strawberry rhubarb jam.












No comments:

Post a Comment