Thursday, June 16, 2011

Garden Update 6-16

This is the lettuce, spinach, carrots and beets from the original planting.  I have planted all but the beets 3 times.  The third time was 6/15.  Harvested right after this picture on 6/9.


Harvested.  Make sure you leave a few leaves in the center of the plant if you want it to keep growing.


Seven days and look at how much has grown back!


Here is a close-up of one of the spinach plants.  It is getting a flower and will soon be going to seed.  I am going to let this one keep growing and will save the seeds from it.


Netted the cabbage yesterday morning.  The bugs should be showing up any day now that it is finally warm.  I used bridal tulle.  It has smaller holes than netting.  It is hard to see because it is green.  I used green, because it was given to me for free.  I secured the tulle under the plants with Velcro plant ties.  Two more left to cover.


Went outside to cover the last two cabbages this afternoon and this is what I found.  Look at all the bugs is just over 24 hours.  This one is next to the 3 in the pictures above.


This another view of the same cabbage.  It is so thick with bugs that I pulled it out of the ground and composted it.


This cabbage is kitty-corner from the others.  It had a few bugs on the bottom row of leaves, so I broke them off and covered the rest of it.


The peas that germinated (about half of them) are growing great.


There are a few pea pods.  They have peas just starting to form in them.


A few more pea pods.


The tomatoes in the tubs are doing good.


Two tomatoes in this tub.


The tomatoes in the ground are not doing very well.  There are 6 of these and this is one of the better ones.  Two are dead.


The strawberry plants are doing good.  The strawberries are tiny.  The rollie pollies AKA sow bugs and/or pill bugs are thick this year.  They are eating the berries.  I had 4 ripe ones and each one had about 1/4 of it eaten and when I picked them up there were 2 to 6 sow bugs in each one.  I lifted all the leaves, runners and berries up on each plant and placed a thick layer of grass clippings under everything over the entire bed.  I am hoping the rollie pollies stay under the grass clippings.

No comments:

Post a Comment