Friday, March 16, 2012

Harvested and Planted 3-10-12

Here are the carrots I covered and left in the ground all winter.  I cleaned up the dead leaves before taking this picture.


I pulled all of the carrots out of the ground.  I am planting potatoes in this bed.


I did not clean up the dead leaves where the beets were covered all winter.  There would have been nothing to see if I had cleaned them up.  Notice the little spot of green in the upper right quadrant.


The two beets that are good are the ones that were in a low spot and got some water.  I'm sure if I had watered them all better and more often all winter the rest would have been good instead of shriveled.


Here is what is left of my potatoes from last year.   The little ones are perfect for next years crop.  These are in the refrigerator vegetable bin all year.  Shriveled or not; I pick the whole ones with 4 to 6 eyes and plant them.


Here they are.  Seven potatoes in each row.  The beds are 6 feet long and 2 1/2 feet wide.  They are covered now with about 2 or 3 inches of soil and I put the glass cover over them also.  They were also well watered after covering with soil.

I usually plant my potatoes on St. Patrick's Day, but decided to plant on the 10th, because the afternoon was so nice.  I'm glad I did since snow is expected for the 17th.

No comments:

Post a Comment