Wednesday, November 9, 2011

End of the Gardening Season Thoughts

Now that the gardening season is over and I think about how thing grew I have decided the following:
1. The warm weather crops just didn't have a chance of growing big.  The growing season was just too cold this year.
2.  This is the first year I watered everything by hand instead of using the automatic watering system. I don't think I gave anything enough water.
3. Growing tomatoes in pots was not successful, because of the extra calcium potted tomatoes need.  Next year I will put the tomatoes in the ground and something else in the pots. Maybe.
4.  Brussels Sprouts are not worth growing.  They never got big enough to harvest and the bugs were awful on them.
5.  The bugs were thick on the cabbage and broccoli too.  Next year I think I will cover my cabbage and broccoli with netting as soon as it is planted and keep it covered until harvest time.  They do not need to be pollinated to make the crops develop.  One less thing to worry about later.  Thanks Karen for this suggestion.
6.  The copper strips around the squash and pumpkin seems to really work.  I will test it again next year to make sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment